Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Teen years, the 1980's.

So I was driving this afternoon and Planet Rock was playing on my favorite station. 
My memory of that song goes like this.... 
I was a 16 year old hormone driven acne scarred teenager. 
When my closest crew of friends decided that we were going to Club 401 on a Saturday night. 
We had no idea what city or town The 401 Club was in..we just knew we had to go. 
About 10 of us in an orange Chevy Chevette.

So all day long we planned and plotted and sneaked and got our cover stories together so that we could go to this club that everyone was talking about. 
All day long the old heads would say.."You young boys need to be at The 401 (unintelligible word) is DJ'in there tonight..it's gonna be great". 
This unintelligible word sounded like "YIPPER MAZE"...and people kept saying it to us all day long. 
We'd run into people from our high school at the mall who were aware of our upcoming adventure and the first thing they'd say is "Oh man..and YIPPER MAZE is dj'in there too..that's gonna be so much fun". 
Finally, I got the nerve up to ask somebody "what in the hell are you saying?" or.." Can you say that name again"? I got the craziest looks. One guy said.."man I know you wear glasses but I didn't think you were deaf too". 
So at the risk of really blowing it..I decide I'd just nod my head in agreement every time someone said "YIPPER MAZE"... 
The ride to the club took forever. 
We were young..and lost..and determined to find the 401 club. 
This was long before cell phones..and GPS devices. 
We rode..and rode..and rode some more. 
Finally..we saw it..it was...cars lining both sides of a rural highway..we turned and followed and wound up driving down a long dirt road..also lined with cars..and muddy..which brought us to a large field filled with cars. 
We got out and followed the crowd of thousands to a tiny tiny house...with a porch..we had arrived. 
People greeted us like we were long lost family..we had arrived...It was The 401 Club..." and you're so lucky ..YIPPBER MAZE"...I just started cutting people off...yeah yeah yeah...I know..."YIPPER MAZE"... 
We made it inside..how they got that many people into that small a place is beyond me. 
There was a bar..and they had igloo coolers full of 40 oz's cans and bottles of Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull for a dollar. 
I finally conned some female into dancing with my awkward teenage butt..and what did the DJ play...you guessed it..Planet Rock by Afrika Bambatta and the Soul Sonic Force. 
Man I put on a show on that dance floor...I was dancing to the beat...and even to these strange sounds..that were just a lil off the beat... 
The girl I was dancing with yelled in my ear..something I couldn't understand...I replied back "Yeah baby I know..YIPPER MAZE is on fire tonight"...and she yelled in my ear again..Louder this time.... 
"NO I SAID DEY Shooot-innnnn we gotta get outta hea'!!!" 
She led me out of that club while we ducked and dodged gun shots and punches and chairs being thrown. 
That girl saved my life that night. 
After the stamped to the parking lot..or parking farm..field...I got to talk to her again and she said... 
" I'm never coming back here..even if GILBERT BAEZ is DJ'in" 
He is a well known radio and tv personality and a well respected Army veteran who contributes alot of time to causes in Fayetteville N.C. 
So there we were..the only two people in the county that spoke English that night. 
Wherever that lady is..I hope she's doing great. 
Lesson learned that night..avoid night clubs named after highways!

No comments:

Post a Comment